Saturday, February 11, 2012

Mockup

Used cotton muslin to make up the mockup.  The top is a little too busty and I had trouble where the shoulder straps met the top of the front and back.  Not sure whether the slip is supposed to be loose and the waist and hips need widening or  if the bust should be taken in.

Laying and cutting the pattern
Laying Pattern
Cutting Pattern

Odd corner not matching up
Odd corner not matching up

Pinned together
Pin it all

Sewing 3/8" seams
Stitch 3/8"

The funky corner
The funky corner

The mockup
Ladies Princess Slip Mockup Front
Ladies Princess Slip Mockup Left


Ladies Princess Slip Mockup Back
Ladies Princess Slip Mockup Right

Bunchy too much fabric up top
Detail too much in bust
Corners not matching



Detail of corner not matching

Because muslins seem wasteful, I went ahead and cut in the top front and inner straps, did narrow hems, and added lace so it could be used with a blue Titanic dress.  Both the slip and the dress still need closures and the dress will have a belt.

Top still funky
Still bunchy up top

Adding lace
Adding lace, back still needs closures

Lace slip under blue dress

3 comments:

  1. I posted a progress report on the VBLL project blog. It turned out to be a mini tutorial on constructing the front. It might help you solve your bunching problem. '
    http://vpll1912project.org/2012/02/10/princess-line-slip-constructing-the-front/
    No matter how careful I thought I was being, I have some mismatched seam allowances, hems, and seam lengths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made a mockup yet, but checking measurements, I noticed that the center front is very wide relative to the rest of the pattern. I hardly would need to add to that piece at all. And I'm added a LOT overall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I think I messed up by not putting in the insertion lace which would have gathered up the front.

    ReplyDelete