Thursday, September 25, 2014

1912 Daywear - Suit Dress

While the electricity was out this morning, instead of sewing a UFO, I started cutting out Butterick B6108 Retro 1912 suit out of cotton flannel.
Reproduction 1912 Suit In the afternoon, I started sewing the front pleats even though I had the beginning of a smashing headache. Bad idea. Headache + pleats on the bias = Fail
Headache + sewing = fail
Later in the evening, I tore out the pleats and tried, again. Still doesn't look quite right and I don't see how 7/8" buttons would fit on these pleats. The front and side panels are cut on the bias which creates some ease in tight/slim skirt. Trying to sew even pleats with fabric that stretches doesn't work so well. This pattern might be better with a tighter weave than cotton flannel. The jacket will cover the closure. I put in an invisible zipper instead of a regular zip. I still need to add the waistband and tack down some of the pleats. Three of the pleats are only partially sewn so that the bottom hem has some kick.
Front
Skirt started Back
Skirt started

1 comment:

  1. I'll remember not to try a plaid if I ever do this pattern. My checked fabric on the Butterick 6093 isn't quite as bad.
    Thank you for sharing your link.
    Val

    ReplyDelete